Monday, September 14, 2009

Tough coupld of days

Hey all- Well the last step of recovery has had it's ups and downs. Surgery on the 11th was delayed until 2:45pm which meant I had nothing to eat or drink 8-10 hours before at 5 am. My husband was so sweet to make me breakfast let me eat in bed at 5:00 and then fall back asleep. We get to Stanford and get settled in to hospital bed and the surgeon comes in to measure me and draws on my skin all the places he plans to cut,etc. Kind of weird. He plans to do the following: 1) Take out the chem port which I was so excited about. 2)Removed the tissue expander and put in a silicon breast implant. 3) Add a small implant to the right remaining breast to even everything out. My number one goal was symmetry and if they were a little rounder and firmer that great. After a long surgery and long recover time Brian and I left the hospital around 7:30 pm that night getting us home around 9:00.

By then all pharmacies were closed to get my pain meds but I was sure I still had pain meds at the house from previous operations but no such luck, I had one half of one pill. I was in for a long night. We dug up other painkillers but weren't "the good stuff" but I got through the night. Brian again, my knight in shining armor, got up at 5:00am the next morning and drove a hour away to Turlock to a 24 hour pharmacy and got my painkilllers. I was so happy to see him showup with those pills and my breakfast the next day. My Hero.

I was recovering fine, sleepy, swollen. The breasts were not excactly symmetrical and the surgeon warned me about that. I need to wait until the swelling goes down and see how things settle in before deciding how they look. There are so many bandages you can't see much at all anyway. I have two drains again and those get in the way. So as the day goes on I notice my face and eyes swelling up and my neck is bright red and getting larger. Then around 3:00 I realize my arms are real tight like I have a blood presser cuff on. Everything chest level and up is swollen. I don't even look like my self any more, I look like I have gained 30 lbs and in day. I joke I look like a football player with their thick necks.

I call the Dr on call and she is baffled by my description. She calls back and suggests also suggests I go to the ER. So exhausted, Brian and I pack up around 6:00 pm to go to the EM in Turlock. I pack an overnight bag because I am just not sure what to expect anymore. Once at the ER, he does a quick exam and determines the swelling is due to the trama of the surgery and send me home. I put up with it on Sunday, no change. On Monday, Mom and I are back in the car going to see Dr. Eldaly. I am convince there is something going on. the sweelling should be either getting better or getting worse but the fact that it is still the same after 3 days is odd. Dr. Eldaly sees me and sends my for a chest CT, and then an unltrasound. Sure enough, I have a blood clot. It is under my arm where the Port used to be. I am on blood thinners and drugs to reuce the swlling. I am glad I followed up and I am glad the Dr. Eldaly took it to the extra step to be sure it is not a problem. Blood Clots can be very serious.

SOoI am back home now resting and recovering. I don't think I will be going out in public unless I need to due to the intense puffiness. I am tired and sleepy and dizzy so I am keeping it short. More to come but I am doing OK right now. Me and my happy drugs. =)

Britt

No comments: