Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Breast Reconstruction

Sometimes I have to laugh. I apologize to the men reading this blog. All I talk about is breasts, breasts and more breasts!!! To some men that might sound great, to most men the breast has a double meaning but for women, breasts are important but are really no big deal. When I write this blog, I often picture my women friends that will be reading this. I do wonder though how many men read and might feel uncomfortable about the subject matter. Breasts, boobs, bras, all those things that as women, we hold so dear but men are not used to talking about. The next couple of blog entry's will be about rebuilding a breast. If that makes you uncomfortable then I guess you either have to get over it or choose not read on. Let your wives give you the updates.

Some men might ask why bother build another breast? They don't seem to get it. "What is the big deal they ask", "It is not like you really need it?" That is like saying, you don't really need an ear, you can still hear with out the earlobe and the outward ear, etc. I think for me and many women in my situation, it is all about my self image. I will feel whole again when I get my new breast. I am not a whole woman without it. I want the chance to look pretty again, to feel pretty. Not for other people but for me.

I am now two weeks out from surgery. I feel pretty good considering everytihng. I am able to lift my left arm well over my head and able to lift some heavier things like laundry and grocery bags. A couple weeks ago, I was nervous to lift a full gallon of milk with my left arm but this week I am briefly lifting my 45 lb daughter, Erin, in and out of her crib (with both arms, of course). I am not sure that is the best scenario for healing but having children, let alone young children, with this process, does not allow you to sit around for long. I had the drains removed, thank God and I can wear my normal clothes again. No more needing to hide the drains with oversized T-shirts.

Now for the next medical procedure. The Dr will essentially grow the tissue for my new breast from the inside out. During surgery he implanted a tissue expander (basically a bag that they fill with saline to slowly expand the remaining skin from my breast. Once their is enough tissue to reconstruct a breast, they will remove the tissue expander and implant a typical saline implant that you might see on a plastic surgery TV show. So at this weeks appts, he added saline to my breast. It is not like I could see the difference but I could feel it. I think leaving the surgery, I had a small mound like the size of an A cup. Now I would say I was about the size of a small B. But boy is it firm and numb. For those of you who have given birth and/or breastfed, it feel like major engorgement but it does not really go away. Like when you are engorged, you just try not to go near "them", it hurts too much. The final product will not feel as firm but I would guess more like usual implants. More real I guess.

I am wearing my usual bras but I am lopsided. Most outfits you can't tell but I can always "stuff" my bra. HAHA So the plan is to continue to get weekly injections of saline until I start radiation. I find out next week what the plan is for radiation. It could take months before I am ready for Reconstruction surgery. So although I am through the worst of this process with Chemo and Surgery, I still have a long road to go.

I am sorry for being so "revealing", maybe I have been writing this blog for too long and forget all the people who are a part of it. I wonder if it will be hard to look people in the face and not laugh when I see them. I am sure everyone will be curious about my little science experiment going on around my chest area. "Should I look, can I catch a glimpse? Oh, I will just look up." HAHA It's OK, I understand.

So if you did decide to read on and you do see me. It is OK to comment on my little project. By now the sexiness of breasts is so over for now, it is strictly a little medical miracle. I will be whole again and I am thankful for that.

Britt

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to read that you seem happier with your latest blog entry!
Wow what a workout you are having lift Erin in and out of her crib - just think of the big bulging biceps you're developing!...hey I can see an infomerical being born...ladies want toned arms....all from the confort of your own home....ah I need to get out more.

Anyway glad that you are staying strong.

Take care

Carolyn
(not too shy to leave comments!)