Thursday, August 28, 2008

sense of normalcy

Hello all- I have an appt set to meet with the surgeon on Sept 8th. I still do not have a surgery date yet but I am guessing maybe week of Sept 15th. A woman I spoke to recently who is a cancer survivor herself, said that this journey is not a sprint, it is a marathon. I believe it.

I am sure there are questions as to why the Dr's feel they need to remove the whole breast just to get at some really small areas of cancer (no more than 3-5 CM in size). I know my first reaction was "OK then, go in again and let's remove the small areas and then I am on my way." It apparently is not that easy. A couple things: Every time the surgeons go in and operate, there is more damage to my remaining breast tissue and area around it, less chance it would ever look normal anyway. Also the areas are so small they could not guarantee they could even find the additional tumors to remove and lastly, the Dr's can not be sure that even though those areas have and grown to a point of being recognized on an MRI, I could still have more microscopic cancer cells there that Chemo would never kill and I would see much higher chance of recurrence. So in order to be sure I will not see a recurrence, removal is the best option.

Life right now is positively normal!!! Cancer is not on my mind on a constant basis, the rest of my life is however. Paige has started Kindergarten this week and she also has lost her two front teeth!! =) She is saving her tooth fairy money to buy a pet Hamster. I did have the conversation with her new teacher about my diagnosis and likelihood Paige will bring her emotions to school. That was not a fun conversation but her school is being wonderfully supportive.

Erin loves the slides at the park and has learned to climb the ladder with me standing close by and eagerly heads down the slide with no fear and a priceless look of glee on her face. Me, I am going to the gym to get as healthy as I can before all this happens and I have been getting together with my girlfriends and play dates, etc. Like I said, I choose my life over thoughts of Cancer. Believe me, it is still there but it can wait.

I have expressed frustration over how long things take and I have decided to change my thought process. I am enjoying the time before my life is turned upside down further. Why would I want to rush into a surgical bed, rush into loosing my hair? I am not delaying anything, of course. But if they can't get me in until Sept, I will enjoy my time feeling normal.

The "summer of Britt" is over now - as we jokingly referred to it. Coined from the "Summer of George" episode on Seinfeld - but it sure was a great one. Beyond the things Brian mentioned in his post, we also went to the beach near Santa Cruz, Brian and I attended a Kenny Chesney concert, we even redecorated our bedroom so at least if I am sick in bed I can enjoy the fruits of our labor. Again, I am always looking for upsides and having that summer was one for me.

Lastly, I wanted to bring to your attention a show called "Stand up 2 Cancer" on Sept 5th. http://www.standup2cancer.org/theshow. I was planning to watch it especially since Christina Applegate recently revealed she had a double mastectomy because she carried the genetic mutation that links to breast cancer. (By the way, I do not carry the genetic link. My cancer was random not hereditary.) Anyway, it might be an interesting show since all of you reading this know someone who has cancer--me!!

Love to you all.

Britt

No comments: