Monday, August 11, 2008

Take the Good with the Bad

I don't have a lot of information but I know that friends and family are waiting to find out the results of the biopsies. I am trying to get a follow up appointment this week or next so I will know more once I talk with the Dr's face to face but the results came back mixed.

The good news: On the right side (the side with no previous cancer) came up negative for cancer. So I am in the clear on the right side. YAH!!! The testing was only precautionary anyway.

The bad news: Of the three small spots that came up on Ultrasound on the left side, two of the three came back cancerous. I believe they were also in the area around the previous cancer. I guess it was somewhat contained on the same side but had spread further than previously thought. This is bad because I am pretty sure the Dr's will be recommending mastectomy of my left breast. How do I feel about that? I have come to terms with the fact this might happen. I am not happy about it at all but I have already met with a plastic surgeon about what it entails and the final result to expect. Although I would rather keep everything intact =), I could live with the result of a reconstruction. More on this later.

This information is based only on a short voice mail message from our Dr. because we had requested the results as soon as possible. I will know more this or next week when they review my results more formally. Again waiting for an appt.

I have been receiving the nicest letters, notes, card and emails from friends and family and Hearing from everyone means so much to me (even though people say this all the time, I really mean it.) A lovely card from my Aunt and Uncle in Maryland, just made me break down and cry it was so touching. I feel very loved and it helps a lot. I know everyone is thinking of me and all those positive thoughts will start to turn things around for me. Even though I am sad about the diagnosis, I am glad to have come to some sort of conclusion at least.

More later of course.

No comments: