Friday, October 17, 2008

Two down and 4 to go

I had my second session of Chemo on Weds. It went pretty smoothly. The Chemo port worked and it was painless to use. Thankfully!! I don't need any more glitches. Brian dropped me off so he could watch Erin that day and then picked me up again after the four hours. Denise watched Erin for a couple hours and Shawna picked up Paige from School and she played at her house, which she loves.

During Chemo the nurses give you a big dose of Benedryl first off when you start, I quickly fell asleep and slept for about two hours. I even woke myself up snoring, (how embarrassing). Other patients around me were asleep as well so I don't think they minded. I ate lunch, read my People magazine that my sister in law so kindly sent me a subscription. And before I knew it, Brian was there with Erin to sit with me for the last hour. Erin did fine in the room, she does not know what is going on. Now Paige, on the other hand, would have hated being there. She would not be caught dead in this medical office let alone in the Chemo room with everyone hooked up to IV's. She hates hospital settings, etc.

I really have felt good since Weds, the daily steroid really keeps me going. I am a little shaky, a little bit of stomach issues, and a little bit of sleeplessness but no big deal. Sure enough on Sunday-Tues, I felt my lowest, I think because the Steroid buoys me up enough to go on with normal life and then when the steroid is stopped then I go down too. Also I learned the type of medicine I am on it is common to hit a low after day 5-7 after treatment. I felt lethargic, shaky, and just wiped out. Thankfully it was a quiet week, Brian was traveling, my mother in law got Paige to school and back and I just slept and watched TV and played with Erin. Good friends, Sara, Heidi and Dawnie all cooked yummy meals for us, which was really nice. My main sympton which is driving me crazy is my taste buds. Either things taste different than I remember or believe it or not, things taste like butter. Yes, butter. Everyting tastes too rich and creamy, such as cheese and certain crackers and bread. It s very odd and drives me crazy. I have a good appetite but I am not enjoying anything but sweets. Things that are sweet like Ice cream taste the same if not sweeter.

Each day I have felt better and I am glad to be reentering the world. Today, Weds, I went to the gym for a little while and then a Dr. appt. I got home around 1:00 and was a little wiped out but I know I will be even better tommarrow. The Medical office that I go to has a guest speaker/Cancer Survivor come every year and they have an open house and appetizers, etc, a little party for the patients and staff. Last year, Peggy Fleming was the guest speaker. I guess she had cancer. This year, Meredeth Baxter, (from "Family Ties" TV show in the 80's) is speaking. She apparently also had breast cancer. So I will get to meet her tomorrow. The whole family is going, it should be fun.

I have been struggling with the wig a bit. Frankly, I felt really uncomfortable. It was itchy and I did not feel like myself. I was self conscience and I hated that. So Kara took me to get some of the wig cut down and restyled and I like it better now. Frankly, I don't wear it around the house though, I wear hats mostly. The wig is for outward appearances, in fact, the other day the Direct TV guy came to the door unexpectedly and I had to run upstairs and "put my hair on" for the repair guy. HAHA. I take it off and on a couple times a day based on when I have to go out. Oh well, what you do for beauty. I like it now and and feel like I can get used to it. In my next entry I will send a picture of myself now with my new do.

A lot of people have been checking in on me to see how I am doing, so I figured I better get out the latest update so people don't worry. I am doing well and as they say, Hanging in there.

Britt

No comments: