Friday, October 3, 2008

Recovery from Chemo

Hello all, First off I wanted to add another link to the blog of dear friends Vin and Nicole Christian. They have also chosen to "Walk for the Cure" through the American Cancer Society. It is so awesome that my story has somehow influenced someone else to take action for such a great cause. So if you did not get a chance to donate before, here is another chance, his race is this weekend.

(cut and paste the whole line into your web browser)
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/MakingStridesAgainstBreastCancer/MSABCFY09Eastern/617699289?px=8175863&pg=personal&fr_id=11628

The last week has been a real pain. I was feeling OK from the Chemo after day 2 and 3. They expected I would feel OK because I was taking a Steroid that buoys you up. Then on Day 4, they stop the steroid and sure enough I wilted like a flower. I was shaky, woozy, tired and lethargic. It was a lot like having the flu. I napped a lot on Sunday and on Monday. In the early evenings I had enough energy to take a shower but maybe you can remember a time when you had the flu and decided to take a shower in hopes of feeling better and the next thing you knew, you were back in bed with wet hair wondering why you did that. I did rally in the evening and had nice dinners that Brian prepared.

My Mother in Law, Nancy who has been with us all summer in preparation for the eventuality, was so awesome. What a weight off my mind knowing that the household and kids were taken care of while I was out of it. My sister also came to visit over that weekend to help out and she was great as well. We went wig shopping. I expect to start having to wear the wig somewhere between session 2 and 3, maybe mid to late Oct. So for my local friends reading this, if you see me with a different "look" you can guess what has happened. Heavy sigh, Oh well.

In case you don't know much about Chemo drugs in general, they are meant to kill fast growing or fast re-generating cells in your body. So Cancer cells are fast growing but so are other healthy cells such as hair follicles, lining of your stomach, your mouth and taste buds among other things. These health fast growing cells are also killed, that is why the hair loss. Also that is why nausea is an issue because your stomach is all messed up. So my tongue feels weird now. It feels like I burned it. I assume it will be like this for a while. I liken the odd new symptoms with being pregnant. When you are pregnant all these strange things start happening, like you don't recognize your own body function anymore. When you are pregnant you just have to deal with all the uncomfortable symptoms because you know that it will be over soon. Same with me, I have to deal with all these annoying symptoms and get through it. It will be over soon enough, I just don't have the baby once it is all said an done.

Being out of commission last weekend really set me back once I did start feeling better. I have been bombarded with DR appts. Appts to replace the Chem port, Follow-up appts, heart scans to be sure the meds aren't hurting my heart and shots to raise my white blood cell counts. Since the Chemo started last week, I feel like this thing has really taken over my life, which really makes me mad. Even through the summer, I was able to get away from it for a while and be normal. Right now, between trying to catch naps, feeling symptoms and Dr's appts, I have lived and breathed this thing.

I think there is light at the end of the tunnel though. As we come into Day 10 since Chemo, I am feeling good and hope to put the last two weeks in the past and be back in the swing of things. Paige is playing Soccer and we have games on the weekends. I do have a procedure on Monday to replace the Chem-port and a weekly follow up appt and that should be it until Chemo again on Oct 15th.

I keep getting the most wonderful cards and packages in the mail and phone calls from faraway and local friends. Thank you for your continued support. I love hearing from everyone and thanks to everyone's positive thoughts, I am getting a firm handle on this part of my marathon.

Love you all.

Britt

No comments: