Sunday, October 18, 2009

Great night for Paige

Thursday night was a great night for our family. It was the evening of the annual Cancer Awareness Event at Emanuel Cancer Center in Turlock. Paige was invited to read her book to the audience of 300-400 people. Over the last 16 months Paige has documented, in her own words, her experience being in a family dealing with cancer. Her Grandma helped her edit the book and they published it. Perhaps some of you have already read it. The staff at Emanuel loved the book so much that they have incorporated the book in their "Monkey Business" cancer support groups for kids and she was the "opening act" for the keynote speaker of the night, Kelly Corrigan, author of "Middle Place". She is also a young mother and Breast Cancer survivor and her book is on the New York Times Best Sellers list. I believe she also appeared on Oprah. The family and I had also been asked to be part of fund raising efforts by lending my picture, with the girls, and my success story to print materials such as brochures and newsletters. I was happy to do that if it helped raise money for the Cancer Center.

Anyway, we arrive the evening of the Event and there is a large tent and tables set up with all kinds of things. On one table is the brochure with my face and the kids faces in the cover. The fundraising efforts had paid off, they were able to raise their goal of 4 million dollars!!! We were then invited to meet Kelly ahead of time before the event and so she and Paige spoke for a long time about her advice for a young author. It was cool to have "inside access" and for Kelly to take such an interest in Paige and her book.

Back out at the tent, the cancer survivors gather in the back of the tent for a Survivor March to open the evening. It sounds kind of hokey but it is really a wonderful feeling to walk through that tent with everyone cheering you on. I was so proud to be walking with other women who had fought and won the battle. They play the song "We are the Champions" which is always a tear jerker. The previous year I had walked in the Survivor march, I was in the group of survivors "One day to One year" since diagnosis. This year I was in the group "One year to five years" since diagnosis. I did not cry during the procession until I laid eyes on Brian and he was welled up as if to say "See, look how far we have come". I hugged him tightly and cried a little in spite of myself. I also was able to march with some new friends I had made through support groups and such, so it was nice to be surrounded by people I knew and felt comfortable around. The nurses and Doctors and staff are all people I have become so close to since I have spent so much of my life in this place with these people. Many of you will not have medical issues that allow you to learn the personal side of your Doctor or medical staff, I have reached that point with these people. Yes, this is their job to be here but for me they have become friends and support for me and they celebrate my good fortune at this point.

My sister and Mother in law came to visit especially for the evening and it was so special. Kara loved the Survivor March and I was glad she was there. Then there were opening remarks and then they introduced Paige and me and the video of her book. Now she did not actually read the book, live, THANK GOD, because we just weren't sure how she would react live, so it was video taped ahead of time, also to keep the program moving. So there was me and her on the big jumbo screen reading Paige's book. It was really cute and the audience seemed to like it. Erin was funny, she looked up at the screen and said, "Mommy", "Paige", like it was the most common thing to see our faces on a big screen. After that, the keynote speaker, Kelly Corrigan, read a couple chapters from her book and she was funny and touching. After the event was over, Paige was seated right next to Kelly for a book signing. Paige sold her copies of her book and signed each one "Paige" with a little heart over the "I" in her name. She looked so grown up sitting there. Brian and I were proud parents.

All in all, it was a great night. It was exhilarating to be part of this event and have Paige receive such a thrill.

Medically, I am also feeling much better. I still have some symptoms such as puffy eyes, swollen limbs and some occasional lightheadedness. But I have to say my energy is pretty much back and I have gone to the gym again a couple times last week. My strength and stamina are depleted so I have to build that up again. I am going to Physical Therapy twice a week to help move some of this fluid away and out of my system. Not sure if it is working, but I feel good I am doing something proactive. I was definitely, in what I describe as, a "funk" for several weeks. I am not sure if I am back to normal but I am getting there and trying to dig out from all the things I put on the back burner for so many weeks. What I realized is that everyone has tough times. It is not just me and not just cancer giving people troubles in life. Everyone has hardship and life, it doesn't just wait around for you. You have to try and pull yourself up and keep going.

So that is what I am trying to do, keep going.

Love you if you are still reading my blog.

Britt

2 comments:

malia said...

I'm so proud of you, Paige, Brian, and Erin! How wonderful for you all to celebrate overcoming such a scary diagnosis and treatment along woth the support of other survivors and their families. Sounds like a great night, well deserved by all of you. Where can I see Paige's book?

Britt and Brian said...

Malia- I am going to try and get it on the web for everyone to see.