Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Gearing up


First off, I want to send you an internet link of my cousin's wife, Susie Heinold who is running a "Race for the Cure" Event raising money for the cause and for little ole' me. That is so cool.

http://race.komenlowcountry.org/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=1030&px=1186541

One of the things I have found with the diagnosis of cancer is how many other people have been touched directly by this disease, so many people have shared their story or that of a loved one. 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with Breast cancer, and as a Mom of two girls, I want to see a cure so that they won't face the same challenges and choices I have faced. If you can donate to this wonderful cause, we thank you. We especially want to thank Susie for running this race.

As I head closer to the date of my surgery, I am in good spirits. Things seem to be moving along and I have a clear course of action ahead of me. An arduous plan is better than no plan. I feel like I am planning to have a baby.. (HAHA) except I am not coming home with a bundle of joy and I won't be waken up every two hours.=) I am packing my bag, wrapping up house and family affairs, thinking of all the things I will not want to deal with later. It is surreal.

I have been going to the gym trying to get in shape for this whole thing. I was kind of feeling sorry for myself the other day, I looked around at the ladies in my class and thought, they look so normal and I look normal too but I am not normal, I have this horrible thing growing in me that I have to get out. I view going to the gym in terms of: before and after, what am I going to wear? Am I going to have the energy to go? What will I wear on my head? I view a lot of things like that now. I know it will pass and it will be better, but in the short term this thing changes everything.

I am out shopping for wigs in preparation for chemo. Even though I was really dreading this part, once I got into it, it was a little fun, (not a lot of fun, but a little). I can go darker, lighter, shorter and longer, anytime I want. The insurance is covering it and I received a wig to "get me started" from the American Cancer Society. They are a wonderful resource.

I am also gearing up for the fall Season, which is traditionally a very busy season for our family, with my birthday, Oct 30th, Brian's, Nov 16th and Paige's Birthday Nov 17th, I am usually swamped let alone Thanksgiving right behind it. So I am already planning for costumes and birthday presents. Who would have thought that cancer would force me to become so organized?

I hope that everyone is hanging in with support and thoughts for me, I know that people get busy and it is hard to keep me in your everyday thoughts. Just know that I love to hear from you and really feel good that you all care so much.

Britt

No comments: