Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Chemo 4 & Chemo 5 on Dec 17th

Hi everyone, sorry I have not been keeping up on more updates. I know you get a lot from the blog but at this point I am in the groove with less urgent updates. I have my Chemo dates set. Chemo on Dec 17th and then again on Jan 7th and then I am done. I even have my surgery and followup tests set. If all goes according to plan, I should have my followup Pet Scan/CT in early January. This will be a very important test result. It will determine the direction of surgery and my next steps. I am tentatively set for surgery end of Jan. I have to wait at least three weeks after my last Chemo to fully heal and have no chance of infection, etc.

I have actually reached a point where I have some sense of a routine and the constant updates of the summer seems to have dissipated. I am in a place now where I am finally reflecting on the serious side of this disease and the steps I still need to take before it is over. I read a couple stories of other survivors such as Lance Armstrong and I just finished a book "Why I wore Lipstick to my Mastectomy". In their stories, they were so serious, devastated and scared. I guess I had been viewing this disease as some sort of project that will be over in about a year. It never occured to me to be scared that a recurrence is a real possibility and God forbid, I might have to do this all over again. A friend I used to play softball with, I recently found out she had a recurrence and has battled breast cancer twice. I don't think I could take it, if that happened to me. Those kinds of thoughts have been in the forefront lately. Even though these thoughts creep up, I can't assume the worse case scenario. I have to move forward with the course I am on. Being scared does nothing as far as change anything so it is better to be positive with what I have accomplished so far.

I also trying to get finished with Christmas shopping and preparations because I am anticipating not being up for much after the 17th. We are looking forward to a good Christmas. My mother, Father and sister will be visiting and Erin is a perfect age to really begin to understand Santa and presents. I will be feeling better by the time Christmas comes but I don't know if I will be able to enjoy Christmas dinner with my taste buds getting so messed up. This past time, everything tasted overly salty, sweet or savory. I was resorting to eating Pretzels, popcorn and cereal. Thankfully it only lasts a couple days.

I went to a support group last week with other breast cancer survivors and the ladies were very nice. They were all around 50 and 60 years old. I am still searching for someone to lean on who is my age now. I know it is not as common though. From these ladies, I heard stories of really bad reactions to Chemo. I felt lucky that I don't have those terrible side effects. They had troubles like swollen legs and ankles, cold sores, throwing up to the point of malnutrition, back pain, hospitalization for blood transfusions. All I feel is under the weather for 5-6 days. When you put it in perspective, I feel lucky.

Lately, I noticed after Chemo, the very next day I feel the effects. I lay around a lot and sleep a lot instead of a 2-3 day delay. I have very little motivation to do anything. By the 4th and 5th day, my motivation is back but my body is not. It is frustrating when I feel in my head, I am ready to get back to my life but I am still tired and lethargic. By day 6, I am ready to "reenter life" again. I tell my friends "I am back". I am able to take care of daily things and pick up all the loose ends that I blew off for a week. It feels good to be back. And after that I am my usual self.

Have a wonderful Christmas if I don't get to report in until after Christmas.

Britt

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Britt

Thanks for the latest update. Glad that you are nearly finished with chemo.

For a possible way of finding a local support system, try the website: www.breastfriends.com - they have a volunteer match program that offer support and friendship to women facing breast cancer. They also offer a wonderful resource as well.

Its ironic that you mention Lance Armstrong - watch out for the mail and you'll understand the link!

Take care of yourself, and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Merry Christmas,

Carolyn

Dena said...

Hi Britt,
Your update was so well written I felt like I was reading a top seller from book store!
You describe everything to a tee! Thanks for sharing!
You seem to be doing all you can to make the best of the situation.... Doing all you can while you are feeling your best, going to group support, reading positive stories of people who have been there and beat it.
I like that you are looking at it as something/like a project to get through and you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
You are even feeling like one of the lucky ones comparing the side effects the other women felt.
You are such a strong amazing woman. ( I know I have said that before but it's so so true!)
I got your Holiday card. Very nice! I love it! Love you! Thinking of you! xo Dena